Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Nothing tastes better than food on sale...


The week after Easter I was in Albertsons and right next to the empty cart corral there were several shopping baskets filled to the brim with clearance items from the holiday -- Easter grass, egg decorating kits, window stick-ons, pink sprinkles -- you know all the stuff that didn't sell. I almost walked by without a second glance when something caught my eye -- Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts in a 14 oz glass jar with Mr. Peanut himself right on the front.

The cart was stacked almost to capacity and a sign taped to the end of the basket said - "10 for $10 Sale" I couldn't believe my eyes. I proceeded to wheel the cart directly to the checkstand and purchase all 48 of the jars at $1.00 each. This was not an advertised special and I just happened to be in the store at the exact right time.

Albertsons always has something on 10 for $10 -- sometimes it's rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide and sometimes it's toothpaste or PastaRoni. I am letting you in on a major secret here but sometimes the sales are just too good if it's something you use --- because... after all it's not a good sale if you don't need it.

The fantastic serendipity occurs when you have a manufactures coupon in addition to the 10 for $10 deal. I am not much of a coupon girl except I do collect the cereal ones. Cereal is one of those necessities that can end up costing you an arm and a leg if you're not careful. Yesterday I got 11 boxes of Cheerios (on sale for 10 for $10) and including 3 -- $1.00 of three coupons and 1 -- $1.00 off two coupon for 64 cents a box. Now when a half eaten cereal bowl turned mush turned cement ends up in the sink I won't be yelling too long about the wastefulness of children who don't earn any money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really need to call me when you find these fantastic deals!!!! That is what friends do!

Rae Greenstreet said...

48 jars!!! Save me some for when I come and visit:)