Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Working on the tree...


At three o'clock this morning after staring at the ceiling for more than an hour I got up and finished placing the decorations on the tree. I can't explain the nocturnal alertness except that it led to a mid afternoon coma. Fortunately, my kids answered the phone and the door while I slumbered.




Yesterday Big Lots was the third store where I tried to find ornament hangers... which equals lots of mileage for a 69 cent box of 150 curved metal in two lengths. My mother once used thread looped around the branches. Forget that, I just filled up at Costco for under forty dollars... I'll drive till I find them.



The tree has two more treatments waiting -- the snow and the tinsel, which to place first--- I'm still debating. We always have the snow, which eventually falls earthward and ends up in the vacuum. This year we'll add tinsel which takes longer to fall, but will get vacuumed nonetheless.




About every fifth light on our five strand compilation alternately goes on and off creating a sparkling effect all over the tree. Channeling Sonny and Cher I hung the final ornaments, stood back and reminisced my childhood.



Whoever said you can't be a kid again obviously never shopped at Antique Malls.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, you are truly one of the most creative and imaginative women I have ever met! I am not worthy to be in your presence!!

Kristin said...

I can almost smell the pine scent coming through my computer screen. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I LOVE that you're doing a vintage ornament tree this year. I've actually collected several boxes of 'shiny brite's myself. I've made an ornament wreath with some of them, but after a couple fell off and broke,I took it apart this year and am debating what to do now. Forget me sharing ideas, what are yours?!