Friday, November 21, 2008

Countdown to Christmas Tree...


With the smoked turkey ordered for next Thursday's meal, I am free to begin preparations to welcome another fresh Christmas Tree into our home. There is much work to be done yet. Furniture to be rearranged and non-holiday decor to be boxed and stored making room for colorful baubles and wooden painted Santas. I started collecting vintage reminders of Christmas past, mostly the ones I remember as a child from the seventies.


Since moving to the Tri-Cities we've always enjoyed the smell of pine from a freshly cut tree during the holidays. I love the soft needles and the widely spaced branches of the noble fir allowing ornament placement both close to the trunk and out to tips.



On Saturday Tim and the kids arise early prepared for a day of hunting for the perfect tree and sledding -- weather cooperating. Some years there have been piles of white requiring snow shoes and providing hills without end for sledding.


Other years the dormant ground yielded no such adventures.



Sometimes other families have joined the fun and trekked to find their perfect tree. This year another new family will follow Tim up the mountain, perhaps starting their own tradition.



My job... and it has always been so, is to stay home and decorate the house. When the kids were small I relished the peace and quiet without little ones underfoot. Several times I have decorated quickly and scheduled a facial or a massage for the afternoon before the family returns. It is one tradition I really love.

No comments: