Tuesday, October 7, 2008

If I had a dime for every picture I've wrecked...



Looking through old photo albums today in search of something McKay I had to exercise great restraint not to repeatedly kick myself for my prior PATHETIC handling of precious pictures of my babies.

The first step... is to admit that you had a problem.....

Hi my name is Brenda... and my scrap booking life had become unmanageable...

I threw away negatives and hacked up pictures of my children with deckle edged scissors. I cut circles and triangles and ... (oh this one is hard to admit) star and heart shapes out of pictures of my infant babies. I cropped out people I thought unimportant only to discover that in the process I cut off arms, legs and even heads of the very people I loved. I used the circle cutter and the crimper on original photos I had no way to replace. I even disposed of (in the garbage) perfectly adorable photographs because the circle I cut was not centered.

PLEASE don't end up like me with volumes of RIDICULOUS scrapbooks and pages of regret.

If you must indulge in the permanent forms of photo destruction -- do it on a copy. Just say NO to multi-colored decorative edged scissors -- They belong at Value Village stuck in a bag with some other random item nobody knows what to do with.

Here are a few examples of things to avoid.





5 comments:

Theresa said...

My name is Theresa, and I have been a non-photo wrecker for 5 years now. You're definitely not alone. I, too, was a photo wrecker -- only luckily I kept my negatives, though they are all thrown into a shoe box and it would be hard to track one single shot down. We've come a long way with scrapbooking -- thank goodness for that!

Anonymous said...

If I had a time for every page that looked like yours I could be going on your scrapbook weekend with you! Hey girl, you are soooo not alone. But the next step is to forgive yourself and move on! LOL
Why do you have so many gifts? You can blog like no other!!!

Kareen Bailey said...

Hi! How fun to find your blog! Beautiful family. Your kids have grown up! I had fun reading through some old post too.

Leslie said...

I did the exact same thing. In the 80's wrecking perfectly good photos and then scrapbooking them must have been the in thing to do.

H.A.M.A. Fam said...

I to have many photos that look like yours!! And worse. I even ruined my parents wedding photo! Sad. Live and learn.

Jenn